Most people tend to think of sleep as being the time when your brain and body is turned off. But this really isn’t true – both your brain and body work hard when you are “off”. Sleep is a master switch, which costs nothing to trigger but is regularly forgotten.
Regrettably we are not designed to run on a 24 hour day – sleep is not a luxury but a necessity. Most of us have figured out that not getting enough has a negative effect on what you look like and how we behave / think, but the connection between sleep and health extends to metabolism as well.
Of course, the young, fool hardy and ambitious driven individuals, often deliberately cut out sleep, but for many of us (me included) – doing time IN BED is not the issue, the problem is actually sleeping.
The trouble with not getting enough sleep
- Discover the secret to a great passport picture
- Bloodshot eyes are a sign of some bad mojo
- Your body’s beauty therapists are only active at night
- Bee warned bees only work the day shift in the land of the midnight sun
- Jet lag causes long term performance in cognitive performance
- How to download more facts into your brain
- Are your academic results sleep sliding away ?
- Pulling an all-nighter leaves your brain unable to think straight
METABOLIC (INSIDE) TROUBLES
Obesity / insulin resistance / cardiovascular problems
- Proper staff management the secret to avoiding accumulating excess fat
- A sleepless night stirs up insulin resistance in the healthy
- Are the lights in your neighbourhood making you fat ?
- A noisy street does more than just keep you awake, it can instigate a stroke
- Activities in BED increase the risk of high blood pressure
- Street lights drive the birds crazy – leading to fertility troubles for the birds
- Real jocks do it for 8 hours a night
Strategies to catch a little more shut eye
- Looking for a drug-free prescription for a restful night’s sleep ?
- Keep the night cap petite for a good nights sleep
- It takes a cool brain to sleep
- A cheap way to breathe easier if you suffer from sleep apnea
- Sweet dreams require sweet smells
- Old eyes can’t wake the sandman up
Do you need to get the 7 Big Spoons™ working for you ?
Subscribe to E-spoons, our free monthy e-zine, which will keep you posted on the latest science stories.